The iPhone 14 series was announced on September 14, 2022. The series got much love from fans and consumers. The series came out of the box with iOS 16. The update comprises several new features and improvements, such as redesigned lock screen, new widgets, new access to the iMessage application, Clean Energy Charging, enabling percentage on the Status bar, and many more. But as reported and claimed by consumers, the iOS 16 has been a buggy mess. Battery drain and connectivity issues are one of them.
To figure out the issues, Apple has already released updates like iOS 16.0.1, iOS 16.0.2, and iOS 16.0.3. And now, the technology giant has been testing various next-generation operating systems like iOS, macOS, and iPadOS. Mark Gurman said in his newsletter that the new operating systems would be available mid-December.
When will iOS 16.2 be Released?
- Apple released the first public beta of iOS 16.2 on October 27. The stable iOS 16.2 was released on December 13, 2022.
Update December 13: After several weeks of beta testing, iOS 16.2 official version is now rolling out to everyone. With iOS 16.2, Apple brings Apple Music Sing for Apple Music subscribers, offering a new Karaoke experience. Other features include a Freeform shared whiteboarding app, Advanced Data Protection, Lock Screen widgets for Sleep and Medications, Hiding wallpaper and notifications in always-on display mode, an Apple News section with the Weather app, SharePlay on Game Center, and more.
- How to Install iOS 16.2? The update can be downloaded over the air by visiting Settings > General > Software Update. If you don’t see the iOS 16.2 version immediately, please wait a few minutes, as it can take a few minutes to hit every eligible device.
Update December 1: Apple is rolling out the fourth public and developer beta of the upcoming iOS 16.2. With this build, we see older Notifications appear again in Notification Center. Some unaddressed problems and new bugs include the Notification Center issue; Volume buttons won’t work on Whatsapp call, CarPlay not working, and more.
Update November 9: Apple has released iOS 16.2 beta 2 to developers. It brings 5G support in India, Live Activity tweaks, and New Health widgets for medication. The update brings 5G support to iPhone handsets in India. You can join the beta program to experience Airtel or Jio 5G on your iPhone.
In his Power On Newsletter, Gurman says that iOS 16.2 and iPadOS 16.2 “began beta testing this past week,” and they “should be released around mid-December.” Further claimed, “I’m told that Apple is aiming to introduce the upgraded models—including M2-based versions of the 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pros—in the first quarter of calendar 2023 and has tied the launches to the upcoming macOS Ventura 13.3 and iOS 16.3,” Gurman said in his newsletter.
He further says, “Those software updates are expected to debut between early February and the beginning of March,”
Mark Gurman tweeted, “The first iOS 16.2 beta is out for developers. Just one day after iOS 16.1’s public release.”
So, considering this, iOS 16.2 stable release is expected to arrive in the mid of December. And considering Gurman’s analysis, iOS 16.3 is expected around February or March.
The iOS 16.2 will likely comprise the following three main features:
- The live activities integration, expected with iOS 16.1, will likely be available with iOS 16.2. It displays real-time information from applications in a dynamic notification. For example, If you ordered something from any website/app, the live activities notification will show you the estimated arrival time on your lock screen. This will be done with the help of the Dynamic Island feature embedded in the pill-shaped notch. Note – This will only work with your iPhone 14 Pro or 14 Pro Max, as they only have Dynamic Island throughout the series.
- A New Sleep feature will also be added with iOS 16.2. It will display with the help of a Sleep Widget added to your lock screen. This will help you identify the quality of sleep and the time you spend in bed.
- With the iOS 16.2 update, Apple will add Freeform, showcased at Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) held in June 2022. Freeform is an application that will help you to collaborate in a single space with the help of images, videos, and texts.
Apart from this, there will be support with external displays for iPads via the update.
So, if you were waiting for the follow-up version of iOS 16.1, then iOS 16.2 is making its way to you around mid-December. And you will be able to witness the features mentioned above with the update. Keep an eye on our social media platforms to keep updated about the current tech happenings.