Although Windows 11 22H2 isn’t officially available, the latest Insider preview ISO file can be downloaded using the “Windows Insider Preview Downloads” page or with the “UUP Dump” tool. This lets us execute a clean install and in-place upgrade. You might want to try this out on a spare computer or a virtual machine.
With the help of UUP Dump, you can create a custom Windows 11 ISO file from any public preview. This tool is a package of other tools and scripts which lets you download the latest builds from the Microsoft servers and create an unofficial ISO file. You can use the unofficial ISO file later to install the OS.
“Windows Insider Preview Downloads” lets you download ISO files on your computer. However, previews on this page are only available when Microsoft publishes them officially.
Since the new version of Windows 11 is not official and is still under development, you have to be mindful of any problems you might encounter later. Remember that some features and experiences may not work as expected, and you may meet data loss issues. So to be safe in case anything goes wrong, creating a backup of all your data is recommended before proceeding.
This guide will teach you how to use the UUP Dump tool or Windows Insider Preview to download the ISO file for any publicly available preview of Windows 11 22H2.
Windows 11 22H2 Latest Update Tracker
September 20: Microsoft has started rolling out the Windows 11 2022 Update commonly known as “version 22H2”. It arrives as the first major feature update for Windows 11 with several new features and enhancements. The rollout of version 22H2 has started in a phased approach. So the update will not be available to everyone immediately.
Windows 11 22H2 is rolling out via Windows Update, Update Assistant, and Media Creation Tool. To download Windows 11 22H2 ISO, you can visit the download page and then locate the section “Download Windows 11 Disk Image (ISO)”. The RTM build number is 22621.
August 16: Windows 11 22H2 final version will reportedly release to the public on September 20. Windows 11 22H2 is currently available in two beta builds – 22622.450 and 22621.450. The stable 22H2 build will likely ship with version 22621.
May 5: Windows 11 22H2 Build 22616 is available in Dev and Beta channel. It brings a new Controller Bar for Windows 11.
How to Download Windows 11 22H2 ISO?
1. Via UUP Dump
Follow the step-by-step instructions to download Windows 11 22H2 ISO file using UUP Dump:
- Open the UUP Dump page and click on the Downloads tab.
- Select the “Windows 11 Insider Preview build 22616″ (x64) or higher.
- Use the “Language” menu to select the installation language and click Next.
- Check the editions to include in the Windows 11 ISO file – for example, “Windows Home” and click Next.
- Under “Download methods”, select Download and convert to ISO option.
- Under “Conversion Options”, select the ones you need or clear all options.
- Now tap the Create download package button to save the tool on your device.
- Click the Create download package button to save the tool on your device.
- After downloading the file, open it using the time File Explorer and the ZIP folder.
- Click on Extract All to extract the files to your desired location.
- Now right-click on the uup_download_windows.cmd batch file and select the Run as administrator option.
- Click the More info option.
- Click the Run anyway button to begin the long process.
- Press the 0 key when prompted to close the screen.
This should successfully create the Windows ISO file on your computer. You can find the file in the folder where you extracted the ZIP file earlier. You can now use the Windows ISO file to upgrade a virtual machine to the preview of Windows 11 22H2. You can also use third-party tools like Rufus to create USB media to install the OS on a spare computer.
2. Via Windows Insider Page
Follow the step-by-step instructions to download Windows 11 22H2 ISO file preview using Windows Insider Page:
- Open the Windows Insider Preview Downloads page.
- Sign in with your Windows Insider Programme credentials.
- Under the “Select Edition” section, select the Windows 11 Insider Preview (Dev Channel) – Build 22621 option and click on Confirm.
- Select the product language you want and click on the Confirm button.
- Click on the 64-bit Download button. This will start the Download of the latest preview of Windows 11 on your computer.
Create Windows 11 22H2 Bootable USB Drive
Follow the step-by-step instructions to create a bootable USB with Rufus to install Windows 11 22H2:
- Open Rufus’s website from here.
- Click on Download the latest version under the Downloads section.
- After the Download completes, double-click the rufus.3.xx.exe file to launch the tool.
- Under the “Device” section, use the drop-down menu and select the USB flash drive to create the Windows 11 bootable media.
- Under the “Boot selection” section, use the drop-down menu and select the Disk or ISO image option.
- Click the SELECT button and select Windows 11 22H2 ISO file.
- Click the Open button.
- Under the “Image option” setting, select the Standard Windows 11 Installation (TPM 2.0, Secure Boot, 8GB+ RAM) option.
- [Optional] Under the “Image option” setting, select the Extended Windows 11 Installation (no TPM 2.0, no Secure Boot, 8GB+ RAM) option. It will create a USB flash drive that bypasses the system requirements.
- Under the “Partition scheme” section, select the GPT option.
- Under the “Target System” section, select the UEFI (non-CSM) option.
- Under the “Volume label” section, specify a descriptive name for the bootable USB drive – For example, Win11_22H2_USB_Install.
- Now use the default settings for the File system and Cluster size options.
- Check on the Quick format option.
- Check the Create extended label and icon files option and click on Start.
- Click on the OK button. This will confirm the USB’s deletion and the bootable drive’s creation.
Once you complete the above steps, the tool will successfully create a USB media with the Windows 11 22H2 installation media.