Microsoft released the Windows 11 update in 2021, a great success for the company. Windows 11 was very well-received by the users. After the release of the Windows 22H2 update and some exciting rumors, users are now looking forward to the next big update, Windows 12 23H2.
This post will discuss everything you need to know about the upcoming Windows 11 23H2 update. So, let’s dive into it.
Will there be a Windows 11 23H2 (2023) Update?
Unlike others, Microsoft tends to release one major Windows update yearly. This update is usually released around September and October of each year. However, Microsoft seems to be taking a different path now. The company has been releasing more minor “Moment” updates that bring fewer features but are more frequent.
If we look back just a couple of months ago, Microsoft released the Windows 11 22H2 update, which brought many new features to Windows, making the experience even better. Following this, Microsoft also released the Moment 1 and Moment 2 updates, bringing new features and improvements to the operating system.
Microsoft isn’t getting away with the 22H2 updates anytime soon. Microsoft will release the Windows 11 23H2 update at its usual timeline, but the update might not be as big as it was in the past.
When can we expect the Windows 11 23H2 to be released?
- The Windows 11 23H2 (2023) Update will likely be released in October 2023.
Microsoft has announced that Windows 11 version 23H2 will be released in Q4 2023. It will be available to download as an enablement package. This means that users already running Windows 11 22H2 can upgrade to 23H2 without having to reinstall the entire operating system.
Microsoft has not yet revealed any details about the new features that will be included in version 23H2.
As the name suggests, the update will only arrive in the second half of 2023. Moreover, Microsoft tends to release H2 updates in October. So, we can expect the Windows 11 23H2 to follow the same timeline.
Windows 11 23H2 Expected Features
As discussed earlier, Microsoft has taken a new approach to delivering Windows updates. Earlier, it used to be one major update for the whole year, but now it’s several more minor updates throughout the year.
A recent report from @_h0x0d_ suggests that Microsoft plans to release the “Moment 3” update in May, way before the expected release date of the 23H2 update. This new Moment update should bring new features and improvements to Windows 11. However, we are unsure what features we will see in the upcoming Moment 3 update.
So, what about the 23H2 update? We have some insights into what features we will see on the update. Here are some of them:
Note: The features mentioned below are a part of the Windows 11 Build 25309, and we have added them here because some of these features might also show up in the 23H2 update.
- New File Explorer: There have been a lot of rumors about the new File Explorer lately. Microsoft is bringing a new Recommended section in the Home tab of File Explorer. The Recommended section will display the most important files with large thumbnails. Microsoft is also working on a Gallery to let you view your photos easily.
- New Volume Mixer: The new volume mixer allows you to set the volume for individual apps from the control center. The new volume mixer will be available in the “Select a sound output” section.
- Better Snapping: Windows 11 23H2 might also make snapping Windows faster and smoother.
- System-wide Dark Mode: Microsoft had initially planned to bring system-wide dark mode with Windows 11 in 2021. However, as it is apparent, that didn’t happen. We now expect the Windows 11 23H2 update to bring this feature and give us a good experience with dark mode on the operating system.
- Windows Spotlight: We can also expect improvements to Windows Spotlight.
- Better Touch Support: Windows 11 has been focusing on improving the experience for touch input devices. This can be seen in the latest Moment 2 update released last week. We can expect further improvements in the 23H2 update.
It should be noted that the features mentioned above are mere expectations and are based on the features available in the latest beta channel for Windows 11. Therefore, these features may not arrive in the 23H2 update. What features do you want in the 23H2 update? Let us know in the comments section below.