Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 888+ is an improved version of the already existing Snapdragon 888, much like the Snapdragon 865+ from last year. But now the next-generation Qualcomm chip has arrived in the market which will power the flagship phones of 2022. The next-gen flagship processor is called Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 (See comparison with Snapdragon 888). So what can we expect from this latest flagship processor? Let’s take a look at it.
Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 features
The Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 carries the model number SM8450. The processor is fabricated on a 4nm (Samsung) process. It features the Qualcomm X65 5G modem, an upgrade over the X60 5G modem found on the Snapdragon 888. This results in better wireless download speeds of up to 10 Gbps, a 33% jump from the 7.5 Gbps speed from last year.
This processor brings a new architecture chip, with Kryo 780 (?) cores on board. It packs 1x Cortex-X2 at 3.0GHz + 3x Cortex-A710 at 2.50GHz + 4x Cortex-A510 at 1.80GHz combination. The GPU also receives an update from the Adreno 660 to the Adreno 730 (?). We don’t know what is new with this GPU, but if Qualcomm wants to compete with Samsung’s Exynos that will have AMD GPU, the update needs to be a substantial one. The GPU is packed with 4th Gen Snapdragon Elite Gaming features that offer desktop-level gaming experiences.
Triple 18-bit Spectra ISP (680?) inside this processor handles all the factors related to the smartphone’s optics. We also have Qualcomm’s FastConnect 6900 chip that handles Bluetooth 5.2 and Wi-Fi 6E connectivity. The Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 chip’s GPU delivers 30% faster graphics rendering and increases power efficiency by 25% over its predecessor SD888.
These smartphones are officially confirmed to feature Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 chip
1. Moto Edge X30: It is official on December 9 as the world’s first phone with Snapdragon 8 Gen 1.
2. Xiaomi 12 Series: Xiaomi has launched Xiaomi 12 and Xiaomi 12 Pro in China with Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 chipset.
3. iQOO 9 Series: iQOO has unveiled its flagship phone iQOO 9 Pro along with vanilla iQOO 9 in china. Both phones pack the flagship Qualcomm chipset.
4. Realme GT 2 Pro: The handset is powered by Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 SoC. It is now available in China with a price tag of CNY 3,899.
5. Nubia Z40 Pro?: ZTE will also announce a new smartphone with the latest Snapdragon chip. (Moniker has not confirmed yet)
6. Red Magic 7?: Upcoming Red Magic 7 Series confirmed to feature 8 Gen 1 SoC.
7. OPPO Find X5 Pro: OPPO has officially confirmed that its upcoming flagship Smartphone (in Q1 2022) will be powered by a next-generation Snapdragon chipset.
8. OnePlus 10 Pro: OnePlus 10 Pro will feature Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 processor.
Qualcomm has confirmed that several brands are working on their flagship smartphones with Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 chip. These include Motorola, Nubia, OnePlus, Oppo, Black Shark, Honor, iQOO, Sony Corporation, Vivo, Xiaomi, ZTE, Realme, Redmi, and Sharp.
Here is the list of Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 powered phones (Expected/Confirmed)
- Xiaomi 12
- Xiaomi 12 Pro
- Moto Edge X30
- iQOO 9
- iQOO 9 Pro
- Realme GT 2 Pro
- OnePlus 10 Pro
- Nubia Red Magic 7 Series
- Nubia Z40 Pro
- Oppo Find X5 Pro
- Redmi K50 Pro
- Redmi K50 Pro+
- Asus Zenfone 9
- Asus ROG Phone 6
- Meizu 19
- Meizu 19 Pro
- Samsung Galaxy S22
- Samsung Galaxy S22+
- Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
- Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4
- Black Shark 5
- Black Shark 5 Pro
- ZTE Axon 40
- ZTE Axon 40 Pro
- Lenovo Legion 3 Pro
- Vivo Nex 4
- Vivo X80 Pro
- Vivo X80 Pro+
- Xiaomi Mix 5