Windows 11 will soon start coming pre-installed and enabled on new Laptops, but this isn’t the case when constructing a bespoke system. Windows 11 is also required if you wish to purchase parts and assemble the gadget yourself. The cost of this software varies based on the version.
Windows 11 License Transfer
A product key for Windows 11 can, however, be transferred to the new computer if it replaces an old one. The option to transfer an existing licence is not only cost-effective, but it also comes in useful if you want to sell the computer but keep the product key, or if you want to activate a virtual machine with the licence.
According to Microsoft guidelines, you can transfer a Windows 11 licence to another machine for any purpose, but it will always rely on how the original licence was obtained. We’ll go through how to transfer a Windows 11 product key in this article. Well, to be the transfer, you have to first determine whether the product key of your Windows is transferable or not!
How to determine if you can transfer a license on Windows 11
Although Microsoft distributes Windows 11 licences through several channels, users may only get a licence through two channels: Retail and original equipment manufacturer (OEM).
- If you have a retail licence for Windows 11, you have the option of transferring the product key to another device
If you are upgrading from an older version of Windows to Windows 11 using a retail copy, you may also transfer the product key to another computer. Generally, there is no restriction to the number of times a licence can be transferred as long as the prior configuration is properly deactivated. However, you may occasionally encounter activation issues that you will not be able to address until you contact Microsoft support and describe the situation.
- You’re dealing with an “OEM” licence if you have a device that comes pre-installed with Windows 11
The product key isn’t transferable in this situation, and you can’t use it to activate another device. You may also move the licence to a new computer if you upgraded from Windows 11 Home to Windows 11 Pro through the Microsoft Store since the product key will be transformed into a digital licence connected to your Microsoft account. If your Windows has passed all the eligibility criteria to transfer the Windows product key, you may go ahead and follow the steps mentioned below.
Transfer a product key to a new PC on Windows 11
The first thing you have to do is deactivate the WIndows running on the old system, here’s how you can do the same!
- Open start and search cmd.
- The command prompt will be now displayed, open it.
- Now, type the following command and hit enter. Command- slmgr /upk
- You will now get a prompt saying Uninstalled Product key successfully.
- Now type the following command in cmd and hit enter to clear the license from the Registry, Command- slmgr /cpky
You may use the product key to activate the same edition of Windows 11 on another computer once you’ve completed the procedures. It’s worth noting that, while the actions mentioned above will delete the product key, they will not erase the activation from Microsoft servers. Rather, the procedure will prohibit the same product key from being used in numerous devices, allowing you to reactivate another.
It’s not required to follow the following procedures if you’re going to utilise another machine because the first one broke down. The product key may be installed on the new machine.
How to activate Windows 11 on the new setup?
You may use the licence key to manually activate a new installation after you’ve fried it up, or you can contact Microsoft support for help if the manual procedure isn’t working. There are two techniques for activating windows.
Install license using Command Prompt
- Open start and search for Command prompt.
- Open CMD and run it as administrator.
- Type the following command and replace the xxxx with your Windows key and hit enter. Command- slmgr /ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
- Now type the following command to verify and hit enter. Command- slmgr /dlv
- Confirm under the “License Status” section the status reads “Licensed” to verify that Windows 11 is fully activated.
Windows 11 should activate successfully when you finish the instructions. If the status is “Notification,” restart the computer and verify the status using the command (see step No. 4) or go to Settings > Update & Security > Activation.
Install license using Microsoft support
- Open start and search for command prompt.
- Open CMD and run it as administrator.
- Now enter the following command and hit enter. Command- slui 4
- Now you’ll get and pop-up asking for your country or region, select the proper option and click on next.
- Now you’ll get and toll-free number on that window, call it and they will provide you with a confirmation ID for verification.
- Now enter the confirmation ID provided to you over call and hit enter.
- Click the activate Windows button.
- Done, it should successfully activate the Windows.
The installation on Windows 11 should now activate successfully when you finish the instructions.
If you want to transfer an existing product key to a different device, verify sure the editions are compatible. If you remove a product key from a Windows 11 Pro installation, for example, you can only use it to activate another Windows 11 Pro installation. You can’t utilize a Pro license to activate Windows 11 on a system that’s running the Home edition.
That being said, what do you think about the transferring Windows 11 product key and the mentioned methods worked for you or not! Do let us know by dropping a comment in your words below.