With the PS5 recently released in November 2020, many are wondering when the next iteration, the PS6, will be released. This is because Sony releases a new version of the PlayStation every three years. In this article, we will look at everything we know so far about the PS6 release date and price and explore some of the features that may come with the new console.
PS6 Release Prediction
- The PS6 (PlayStation 6) could be released in 2027.
Looking at Sony’s timeline for PlayStations, we can see that there has been an average of 7 years between the releases of each iteration of the PlayStation. The first PlayStation was released on September 29th, 1995, followed by the PlayStation 2 on November 24th, 2000, the PlayStation 3 on March 23rd, 2007, and the PlayStation 4 on November 29th, 2013. And finally, the PlayStation 5 was released in November 2020.
Earlier leaks stated that we would see an update to the current PlayStation. Sony is expected to release the PS5 Pro and the PS5 Slim by the end of 2023 or early 2024. However, recent leaks say something very different.
A tweet from renowned tipster Tom Henderson suggests that the next iteration of the PS5 will be a “gen 2” version of the regular PS5, set to hit production in April 2023 and begin selling in September. Tom Henderson heard more about the PS6 than PS5 Pro. This suggests PlayStation 6 is in the works.
A document from the UK’s Competition Markets Authority mentioned, “Microsoft has offered to continue making Activision’s games available on PlayStation only until 2027. By the time SIE launched the next generation of its PlayStation console”. However, there have been no official confirmations from Sony, and the PS6 may not be released until 2027.
PS6 Expected Specifications
There is no official information on the specifications of the upcoming PS6. However, we have some speculations on what the specifications could be:
The upcoming PS6 should have 4K TV gaming, 16K output, and an ultra-high speed 1 or 2 TB (2 SSD) storage system. The CPU is expected to be a custom 16-core AMD zen four variable frequency up to 5 GHz, with a GPU architecture based on the AMD Radeon RDNA 4 graphics engine. The PS6 is also expected to have 32GB of GDDR6 memory with a 256-bit interface and a memory bandwidth of 448GB/s.
Expandable storage will be available through an NVMe SSD slot, and the PS6 will also support a USB drive. The Ultra HD Blu-ray will support up to 100GB/disc, and the console will have an HDMI out port. The expected weight of the PS6 is 3.8kg.
PS6 Expected Features
The PS6 is expected to have several new and improved features, including faster memory, built-in wireless connectivity, faster storage, more storage space, and wireless charging for controllers and headsets. These upgrades should provide an even better gaming experience on the PS6.
1. Faster Memory: The PS6 is expected to feature faster memory, resulting in improved gaming performance and reduced load times. With 32GB GDDR6 memory and a memory interface of 256-bit, the PS6 will offer 448GB/s of memory bandwidth, providing players with a smooth and seamless gaming experience.
2. Built-in Wireless Connectivity: The PS6 is expected to feature built-in wireless connectivity, making it easier to connect to the internet and other devices. With WiFi 6E and the latest Bluetooth connectivity, the PS6 should offer faster and more reliable internet connectivity.
3. Faster Storage: The PS6 is expected to feature faster storage, with an ultra-high speed 1 or 2 TB NVMe SSD option. Although the current PS5 isn’t any slow, a faster SSD will be appreciable.
4. More Storage Space: Expanding the storage on the current PS5 is a nightmare. We hope that Sony fixes this with the upcoming PS6 by giving users the option to expand storage in a more user-friendly way.
5. Wireless Charging for Controllers/Headset: Lastly, we expect the PS6 to offer wireless charging for its controllers and headset, making it easier to keep them charged and ready to play. This will eliminate the need for an external charger, making everything more convenient.
PS6 Expected Price
- The PS6 might be priced at $549.
The expected price for the PS6 has not been officially confirmed. However, it is not hard to speculate on the cost of the PS6. Keeping the upgrades and the inflation in mind, we can expect the PS6 to be priced between $500 and $600.
Plus, if we dig into the past, the PS5 was $100 more expensive than its predecessor, PS4, which retailed at $399. However, we cannot say anything for sure. Stay tuned for more updates from Sony.