Mukesh Ambani led company Reliance Jio has launched its Fiber Broadband service commercially. Along with this, the company has also launched its much-awaited DTH service called “Jio Fiber 4K Set Top Box” which brings Cable TV and OTT contents together. So, how much do you need to pay for Set Top Box and its services? Let’s find out!
What is Jio Fiber 4K Set Top Box?
Jio 4K Set Top Box (formerly Giga TV) offers Cable TV and OTT contents to its users. The Set Top Box also comes with pre-installed TV Plus app that lets you watch Live TV Channels through Jio Fiber connection.
As Set Top Box uses internet connection to stream contents, apart from watching TV channels, users can also watch content that’s available on internets such as YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime videos.
The smart remote that bundled with Set Top Box comes with a microphone through which, users can put voice commands to change TV channels or to find video contents.
What are the Benefits?
- Live TV Channels Through Fiber/ Cable TV.
- Pause, Rewind and Play whenever you want.
- Users can choose content according to their demand and enjoy 4K videos.
- Users can access online content platforms such as YouTube, Hotstar, Amazon Prime, Netflix etc.
- Voice calling is available through Set Top Box.
- HD Video calling facility is also provided.
- High-speed lightning-fast internet speed upto 1 Gbps at home.
- Free subscription to various music, movies and video streaming services such as JioMovies, JioSongs, Jio Cinema as part of the whole package.
- Multi-lingual support.
- Virtual Reality handset (named HoloBoard) can be used to enjoy 3D videos.
How much does Jio Set Top Box cost?
Jio Set Top Box is priced at Rs 6,400. But, as of now, you can get it for free as a welcome offer. It comes bundled with Jio Fiber. So, by paying the price for a high-speed home broadband Fiber connection i.e. Rs 2500, you get the 4K Set Top Box also. However, you need to choose an Annual or 6-Month or 3-Month plan to get the STB for free.
Jio Set Top Box Plans
The plans to enjoy Live TV channels and OTT contents through Jio Fiber connection start at Rs 699 + GST that offers 100 GB of data at 100 Mbps. Your data will be consumed while you watch Live TV (via TV Plus app) and other content. But, you can also enjoy TV without consuming data as the Set Top Box offers Cable TV service. At present, Hathway, Den Networks and other LCOs have partnered with Jio for providing Cable TV service through the Set Top Box. But, it is still not clear whether you need to pay extra for cable TV or it will bundle with Fiber Plans.
How many channels are available?
You can enjoy 600+ TV channels across languages and genres, including 100+ HD channels though its TV Plus app (Probably). The complete Channels list for its cable TV service is yet to be released. However, popular channels such as STAR PLUS, ZEE TV, COLORS, SONY SET, STAR SPORTS, SONY TEN, DISCOVERY, HISTORY TV, NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC, MTV, 9XM, STAR GOLD, ZEE Cinema and more will be included.
OTT platform means a streaming media service where you can enjoy movies, videos, TV shows etc over the Internet. Jio Set Top Box offers TV Plus, JioCinema, and other OTT apps which may include ZEE5, Netflix, Hotstar and Amazon Prime.
When will I get Jio’s DTH Service?
Jio’s DTH Cable TV service is already available in major cities. But, Providing a Fiber connection that supports Cable TV requires huge infrastructure. So, providing this service all over the country at once is very challenging for Jio at the beginning of the launch. So, initially, this service will be available to metro cities only.
How Can I Get Jio Set Top Box?
As of now, users can only show their interest in Jio Fiber Set Top Box through the official website. Then depending upon the number of interested customer in a certain geographical area, Jio will start providing the connection. If you are currently living in a metro city, then you will get a connection very soon.
- First of all, show your interest online in your area by clicking here.
- Select your location and then you will see a registration form.
- Enter details like Name, Email and Mobile number.
- Generate OTP and Submit.
- Once service is available in your area, Jio customer care executive will be informed you through SMS/Calls.
- Jio officials will come at your place and they will install the devices and give you the Fiber optic cable connection. For configuration, you have to access the Fiber router login page. So, if the service becomes available at your place, then you don’t have to worry about the installation.
For the past few decades, people have been watching television channels to fulfil their needs for entertainment. But in the past few years, especially after the launch of Reliance Jio, a big chunk of youth have shifted towards online content and watching videos online on various platforms. Nowadays youths hardly watch any television program. Instead, they enjoy watching or reading content online as it provides them with the content they want which is not possible in television. That’s also a reason behind the popularity of various streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, TVF, etc.
That’s where the use of the internet to watch TV channels comes into play. In future, a lot of people are going to use the internet to watch TV instead of opting for a d2h connection.
And as Reliance Jio has developed a huge infrastructure to provide high-speed internet connection through Fiber optic cable throughout the country, Jio is looking forward to capturing this opportunity to provide high-speed home broadband services at a super affordable price along with their 4K Set Top Box where user can access to Live TV channels over the internet, OTT apps and much more.