Elementary OS 6, a new operating system based on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, has finally been announced (Odin). The Elementary OS 6 is the successor of the Elementary OS 5.1, which was released in December 2019. Elementary OS introduces a slew of new features and speed enhancements, as well as all-new standalone visuals and user interface design. In this post, we will mention how you can install the all-new Elementary OS in your system.
What is Elementary OS?
Elementary OS is a desktop system based in Ubuntu. It includes a unique desktop environment called Pantheon, as well as several custom applications like Photos, Music, Videos, Calendar, Terminal, Files, and more. It also includes some well-known applications, such as the Epiphany web browser and a branch of Geary mail. The new 6.0 version further improves and adds new features to the device.
Here are the features of Elementary OS 6
As previously stated, the all-new Elementary OS 6.0 introduces a slew of new UI improvements. Many new features are included in the list, like:
1. Dark Mode Support: You may have heard about Dark mode previously, as it isn’t a groundbreaking or industry-leading function. However, the new Elementary OS has a dark mode that may be customized further. All applications and features will be converted to a dark theme as soon as you enable dark mode. It has a dark mode, just like Android, that turns on automatically from sunset to sunrise. Not only that, but you may also customize the accent colour, wallpapers, and themes to your liking.
2. Sandboxing Technology: Sandboxing technology provides you with an additional layer of security and protection in the Elementary OS 6. You can see that all apps are given as flatpack apps since each program runs in its own sandbox. As a result, each app’s settings may be used to modify it. In short, you have full control over your privacy.
3. Notification Enhancement: It has a notification bubble function that is quite similar to the chat bubble feature in Android 11. You can also reply to notifications and take action right away using the notification bubble.
4. Multi-touch support: The new Multi-Touch functionality in Elementary OS 6, as well as enhanced gesture capabilities, is a welcome addition. You may trigger numerous activities and further modify them using gesture settings, much like Windows. For example, by using three fingers, you can easily move between multiple applications, which is handy while multitasking.
Aside from that, there are a slew of new features, including firmware update support, a completely revamped user interface, and application design, as well as a new UI in native camera apps. The new Tasks app makes it simple to keep track of your to-do lists.
Elementary OS 6 System Requirements
Just like another operating system, the Elementary OS 6 comes with minimum system requirements, but one good thing to share is the new Elementary OS 6 shares minimum specs requirements. This means you can flash and boot the system in any of your old systems running low specs hardware. To boot up Elementary OS, your system should have a minimum of 1GB of RAM, 10-15GB of free storage in your SSD or Hard disk, Intel i3, or dual-core 64-bit based and above chipset, and at last, you should have access to the Internet. Let’s check the installation method of Elementary OS 6 with step by step guide.
Steps to Install Elementary OS 6 on your PC
- First of all, download the Elementary OS 6 [Odin] from its official website, or else, you can also download it from elementary.io
- After you’ve downloaded the Elementary OS 6 ISO, you’ll need to install it. Create a bootable drive and modify your system settings to boot from the USB Disk, then restart your computer.
- As soon as you restart your computer, it will automatically boot to the Elementary OS installer. It will show “Booting Elementary OS live disk in X seconds”.
- When the timer ends, you’ll get a prompt asking for your desired language, choose your preferred language and proceed.
- Now it will ask for the keyboard layout, choose your desired keyboard and layout and proceed.
- It will now ask for installation type i.e. Demo Mode, Erase disk and install, and Custom Install [Advanced]. If you want to make a trial then click on demo mode, but we recommend you to go for Erase disk and install method. It will format your disk and install a fresh new copy over it.
- Now select a drive where you want the installation to take place.
- If you need to activate disc encryption, select Create Password from the drop-down menu. If you want this drive to be more secure, you’ll need to do this. To access the disc, you must give the password you just established every time it is switched on. If you don’t want your disc to be encrypted, click “Don’t Encrypt” and proceed.
- Now, the installation will start, sit back and relax as it can take some 10-15 mins and maybe more than that.
- As soon as the installation process finishes, you’ll get two buttons, one for shutting down and one for the reboot. Click on the Restart button and it will restart your system.
- Hurray! You have successfully booted up in the Elementary OS 6, now follow the on-screen instructions given by the Operating system.
As soon as you finish all the instructions, click on Finish Setup and you can now completely use the Elementary OS 6 and try its new features. Having that said, what do you think about the Elementary OS 6 and its features, Do let us know by dropping a comment in your words below.