If your iPhone is frozen, stuck, or has some severe glitch that needs to be resolved, you must perform a hard reset. A hard reset is simply a forced restart of your iPhone. Ideally, you would want to restart your iPhone using the power off menu.
However, that is impossible if the screen is frozen or not responding. Here is where a hard reset comes in. You force your iPhone to restart by following some simple steps. These steps vary from iPhone to iPhone, depending on whether it has a Home button, Face ID, or iOS version.
If you are wondering what these steps are, you are in the right place. Here, we will show you how to hard reset your iPhone. Let’s jump straight into it.
Hard Reset iPhone 8 and Later
If you have an iPhone 8 or newer model, you can follow the steps below to hard reset your iPhone. The steps are the same if you have an iPhone SE 2nd Generation or newer.
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up key.
- Press and quickly release the Volume Down key.
- Press and hold the Side key for a couple of seconds. Release the Side key once the Apple logo appears.
If you face any difficulty, connect your iPhone to a charger and try again.
Hard Reset iPhone 7 / 7 Plus
If you have an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus model, you can follow the steps below to hard reset your iPhone.
- Press and hold the Volume Down key and the Sleep/Wake button simultaneously.
- Release the buttons once the Apple logo appears.
If this doesn’t hard reset your iPhone, try charging it for some time and then try the same steps again.
Hard Reset iPhone 6s and Earlier
If you have an iPhone 6s or older (including the iPhone SE 1st Generation), you can follow the steps below to hard reset your iPhone.
- Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons simultaneously for about 10 seconds.
- Release the buttons once the Apple logo appears. Your iPhone will now restart.
A hard reset is a great troubleshooting technique to help fix a frozen screen and other software glitches on your iPhone. Hopefully, this guide has helped you find the steps to hard reset your iPhone. If you still face difficulty performing a hard reset on your iPhone, ensure the buttons function properly. If not, contact Apple Support for further assistance.