Apple recently released its iOS 16 update for the iPhone, and as with every iOS iteration, there are bound to be some bugs and stability issues. People are facing issues when apps crash on their devices after installing the update.
If you are one of the many people facing this issue, don’t panic! We will help you fix it. Keep reading to learn how to fix iPhone apps crashing after installing iOS 16.
- Read: Check out our iOS 16 Problems and Bugs Tracker.
Fix iPhone apps that keep crashing after the iOS 16 update
The app crash issue is one of the issues people face with every iOS iteration. While it is not as widespread as battery drain issues, it does exist. Various reports of users on Twitter and Reddit suggest that they have been facing app crash issues after installing the iOS 16 update. Thankfully, there are ways to fix this issue.
Are you facing iPhone Apps Keep Crashing Issue in iOS 16? #iOS16
— DealNTech (@dealntech) September 15, 2022
Here are a few ways through which you can fix the crashing app issue on your iOS 16 device:
- Restart your iPhone
- Force quit the app
- Free up storage space
- Uninstall and reinstall the app
- Check for app updates
1. Restart your iPhone
You may need to restart your iPhone if you’re experiencing app crashes after updating to iOS 16. This can help to fix any software issues that may have arisen after the update. Most of the time, a simple restart is a solution.
To restart an iPhone without a home button:
- Press and hold the Power Button and the Volume Up or Down button until the Power off menu appears.
- Drag the slider to the right to power off your iPhone and wait ten seconds for it to turn off completely.
- Once your iPhone has turned off completely, press and hold the power button to turn it back on.
To restart an iPhone with a home button:
- Press and hold the power button until the “slide to power off” option appears.
- Follow steps 2-3 from above.
Restarting your iPhone may not fix all the app crashes you’re experiencing, but it’s an excellent place to start. If you’re still having issues, you can try the next solution.
2. Force quit the app
If you’re experiencing app crashes after updating to iOS 16, you may need to force quit the app. This will restart the app and fix any minor glitches that might have existed.
To force quit an app on an iPhone without a home button:
- Swipe up from the bottom of the screen and hold to open up the recent apps menu.
- Find the crashing app, remove it from the recent menu, and force quit.
- Once the app has been forced to quit, wait for ten seconds and then re-launch the app.
To force quit an app on an iPhone with the home button:
- Double-click the Home button to bring up the multitasking view.
- Follow steps 2-3 from above.
This should fix the issue and allow the app to run smoothly. If the app continues to crash, try the following solutions for further help.
3. Free up storage space
Insufficient storage space is another potential reason for an app crash on an iPhone. Therefore, you must ensure you have enough storage space on your iPhone.
To check the storage space on your iPhone, go to Settings >> General >> iPhone storage.
If you don’t have enough storage space on your iPhone, you can try deleting unwanted apps, photos, videos, or files. If you don’t want to delete those, transfer them to a computer if you have one. If you don’t have a laptop, use cloud storage services. Once you have freed up space on your iPhone, apps should start working as usual. If you have enough storage space but still face app crash issues, move down to the following solution.
4. Uninstall and reinstall the app
If you are still experiencing an app crash after updating to iOS 16, try uninstalling and reinstalling the app to see if that fixes the issue.
Note: Deleting an app will delete all its data. So, make sure you have a backup before proceeding.
- To uninstall an app, hold down on the app icon until it starts wiggling.
- Then, tap “Remove app” from the menu that appears beside the app icon.
- Now tap “Delete App” and then tap “Delete” again to confirm your action.
- This will delete the app from your device.
To reinstall the app, open the App Store and search for the app. Once you find it, tap the “Get” button to download and install the app. Once installed, the app should work as usual.
5. Check for app updates
If you recently updated your iPhone to iOS 16, you may have noticed that some apps are no longer working correctly. These apps have not been updated to support the new operating system.
If you try to open one of these apps, the app may crash or see a message saying that the app needs to be updated. You’ll need to update the app to the latest version to fix this.
- To update an app, go to the App Store.
- Tap on the profile icon at the top.
- Check for the apps that keep crashing and look for any available updates.
- If any updates are available, tap “Update” to install them.
- Once you have updated the app, the app crash issue should disappear.
There are a few different ways to fix the app crash problem on iOS 16. You can try updating your apps to the latest version, which should fix the issue. You can try deleting and reinstalling the affected app if that doesn’t work. We hope one of these methods will fix the problem, and you can get back to using your apps without any issues.