Microsoft delivers updates for its products in order to improve their quality and cure any recent vulnerabilities. Security flaws are patched as soon as they are discovered, which is generally seen as a blessing. Despite this, these upgrades can occasionally have devastating results. Users who are working on anything essential should expect their computer to immediately reboot after the updates have been loaded. The user may lose crucial unsaved work due to this abrupt restart. It’s possible that updating isn’t as simple as it looks. Some upgrades may cause the system to become unstable. Microsoft will usually give a solution, but in certain cases, the customer will be left with no choice except to reinstall the whole operating system, which might result in data loss.
The update functionality in Windows 11 is fairly similar to that of Windows 10. Windows updates are difficult to regulate for users. We’ve explained how to turn off Windows 11 updates. Let’s see step-by-step methods to turn off automatic updates in Windows.
1. Disable automatic updates in Windows 11 using registry
Microsoft’s Windows Registry is a database that contains all of Windows’ configurations and settings. The Registry also stores all configurations relevant to the updating process. If you want to disable Windows 11 Update permanently, you may change the registry settings to do so.
- First of all, you have to open the Registry editor. To open it, go to Run > regedit.
- Now open the following key from the left-hand tree HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Policies\ Microsoft\ Windows
- Now click on the Windows folder and create a new folder and name it WindowsUpdate.
- Create a new Key with the name AU by right-clicking the newly formed WindowsUpdate folder.
- Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value named NoAutoUpdate in the right-hand window after selecting AU.
- Now open NoAutoUpdate and set its value to 1.
- Restart the PC.
The automated Windows update procedure will be disabled as a result. However, you will be able to manually check for, download, and install updates via Settings –> Windows Update. If you do not want to go through the Registry editing procedure, you may download the following batch file, which will create the aforementioned keys and adjust the necessary values for you.
However, if you now want the automatic updates to be enabled again in your Windows, run the following command in the command prompt and it will again enable the automatic windows updates option.
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v AUOptions /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
2. Stop automatic windows 11 update using the group policy editor
Users can also stop the automatic Windows 11 update option using the local group policy editor. Follow the steps mentioned below to successfully turn on the automatic update option in Windows.
- To open Group policy editor, Go to Run > gpedit.msc
- Now go to the following folder from the left-hand pane
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update>Manage end user experience
- Now go to Configure Automatic Updates option from the left-hand pane of the windows.
- Now you’ll see three states, i.e. Not configured, Enabled, and Disabled. Select it to the Disabled.
- Now click on OK and proceed. This will stop Windows updates from being automatically checked, downloaded, and installed. You’ll have to go into Windows Update Settings and manually check for and download updates.
3. Turn off automatic windows 11 update using the service
- Go to Run then head over to services.msc to open service management console.
- Now you’ll see multiple lists of services, find Windows Update from it.
- Now click on it and change the startup type to Disabled, It will be set to Manual.
As an alternative, you may temporarily pause Windows updates in the Settings app, enable metered connections, or enable power saver mode. Despite the fact that Windows will pause the update process if these options are set, we do not suggest them because they are temporary solutions and also influence other Windows 11 capabilities.
It’s possible to configure this option via the Registry approach if you’re a more skilled user. Disabling the Windows service would suffice for others.
Thanks for sticking with us till the end of the post. What do you think about the post How to disable automatic updates in Windows 11, Do let us know by dropping a comment down below.